Dad’s Beef & Barley Stew
– 2 lbs. Sirloin Roast, cut into 1″ cubes
– 500 ml Beef Bone Broth
– 250 ml Stout Beer (Guinness)
– 2 c. Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
– 1.5 c. Bulk Carrots, chopped
– 1.5 c. Celery, chopped
– 1 White Onion, diced
– 60 ml Tomato Paste
– 5 Cloves Garlic, minced
– 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
– 1 Tbsp Parsley
– 1 Tbsp Flour
– 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
– 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
– 1/2 c. Dry Red Lentils
– Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
3. In a large cast iron pot, over medium heat, add Olive Oil and sear the beef on all sides until just starting to brown (only cook it to about 50%). Stir in around 1 Tbsp of flour until it is coating the beef. Remove from heat temporarily.
4. Add a bit more oil to the pot. Then add the Carrots, Celery, Butternut Squash, Onion, Garlic, Thyme, and Parsley. Stir together with the tomato paste. Then, add the liquids – Beef Broth, Beer, Worcestershire and bring to a boil for about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the beef back in and combine evenly.
6. Transfer the pot to the oven and cook covered for around 60-70 minutes.
7. Rinse the 1/2 cup of dry lentils under cold water and add them to the stew. Stir in evenly and continue to cook for another 20 minutes with the pot uncovered, until the lentils are soft to eat.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
Want To Up Your Nutrition Game?
We have a customized nutrition program that will take your food & fitness to the next level. You will get to enjoy plenty more of these recipes, but with tailored structure to meet your goals.