The Warmest Fall Salad
– 1 cup Uncooked Pot Barley
– 500 ml Chicken Stock
– 1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
– 6-8 c. Raw Kale, chopped
– 4 Tbsp Pine Nuts
– 1/4 c. Goat Cheese
– 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
– 1 Tbsp Grainy Dijon Mustard
– 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
– 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Cook barley as per package directions using the chicken stock in place of the water. Typically barley takes around 35-45 minutes to cook. We cooked it for 35 minutes in the rice cooker.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place butternut squash cubes on a lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle over with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes while barley is cooking. Butternut squash is done when it is golden brown and can easily be pierced through with a fork. We cooked ours in the Air Fryer for around 20-25 minutes, shaking them up often.
3. In a small mason jar or mixing bowl combine dressing ingredients.
4. In a large bowl add the kale, along with the dressing. Massage in the dressing and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
5. In a large frying pan, over medium heat and olive oil, lightly fry the kale for around 2-3 minutes until it starts to get warm. You don’t want to cook the kale right down. Then, add the cooked barley and pine nuts and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Transfer the kale mixture to a large salad bowl. Add the roasted butternut squash. Top with the 1/4 cup goat cheese or more as desired.
7. We served this dish with a BBQ chicken skewer to make it a Performance-Enhancing Meal.
Want To Up Your Nutrition Game?
We have a customized nutrition program that will take your food & fitness to the next level. You will get to enjoy plenty more of these recipes, but with tailored structure to meet your goals.